Monday, March 31, 2014

Scones!

Scones, scones the magical treat, the more you make, the more you eat. Yum!!

Scones are one of my favorite treats. For anytime. We have a friend from across the pond who visits us fairly frequently. She likes to eat out. I like to eat in. I'm hoping someday I can convince her my food is as good as any restaurants. This recipe is just one weapon in my war against eating out.




Now the scone on the left is a lovely toffee scone, and the one on the right is a pecan/chocolate chip scone. After making these we considered other options. Bacon and maple, pumpkin spice, chocolate orange, white chocolate and cranberries. Basically the sky is the limit. 

So we have a base recipe. It makes 8 scones. You can mix and add as you wish. I made two batches because I have no self control, and they are currently being sealed in an air tight container. There is also a discussion about making clotted cream, but yeah..... you know, that whole diet thing is really cramping my feasting style. But stay tuned I might yet break down and do it. So lets move on to the recipe.

Scones!!!!
Makes 8


  • 1  1/4 c flour
  • 1/8 - 1/4 c sugar (depends on how sweet you like it. I went closer to 1/8)
  • 1.5 tsp baking powder
  • **1/4 (or maybe a little more) mini chocolate chips
  • **1/4 c pecan (next time I'm toasting them)
  • 1/2 c sour cream (I know right?? Trust me)
  • 2 1/2 tbsp butter or margarine (I had margarine on hand. Room temp please)
**For the toffee scones substitute these two ingredients for an over flowing 1/2 c of chocolate toffee bits)



1. This is super easy, so don't worry you cant mess it up. DONT BE AFRAID OF SCONES!!!

2.Dump the flour, sugar, and baking soda in a bowl. Give it a whirl with a spoon.

3.  Now add in your pecans and chips (or toffee bits) and stir to coat them with the flour mixture. 

4. Add the sour cream and margarine and mix until a nice and slightly sticky dough forms. 

5. Dump that dough out on a floured pan and shape it into a ball. Now flatten that ball until its a 1/2 -3/4 inch thick disk. 

6. Grab your pizza cutter (or a nice long, sharp knife) and cut that sucker into 8 triangles. Separate the triangles about 1inch apart to bake.

7. Little trick I learned from my mom. Dust those babies with some baking sugar. Makes them look shiney! 

8. Place those puppies in a preheated 450' oven for about 10-12 mins. Don't burn them. That would be sad.

9. When done place them on a cooling rack long enough that you don't burn your tongue when you try to eat them.

10. EAT IT!!! Eat as a snack, for tea time, as part of breakfast, or for dessert. Its scone, it's perfect anytime!

Check out my fiancé's site to learn the recipe for the quiche he served the scone up with for brunch. Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment