Monday, March 3, 2014

Operation: Wedding Dress

Ok, lets get one thing straight. I am NOT a dress girl. I'm a jeans and t-shirt and something comfy kinda girl. Sure I like a little bit of bling on my shirts once in a while, but hey who doesn't. So what's a girl on a budget with a low key wedding planned supposed to do for a wedding? That's actually a really good question.

Lets be frank, I'm a big girl. I have hips and boobs. I am proud of both. But sometimes they don't play well with dresses. And most of the models for wedding dresses DON'T have my figure (seriously david's bridal.... lets fix this) and the ones that they do have are slightly out of my budget. My mom has offered to buy my dress, which is cool, but I still refuse to spend a zillion bucks on a dress I will wear only once.  So for the past several months I've been staring at dresses out of my budget, silhouettes befitting a slimmer person, and so much bling that would put a beauty pageant to shame. Basically nothing that screams me.

I had basically resigned myself to having to go into one of those big stores with 100 of my newest and closest friends, hiding in a dressing room whilst my family brings me items that *should* fit, while avoiding the over attentive consultant who has the best of intentions  I'm sure. **SHUDDER** Its like my worse nightmares come to life minus the clowns. Fortunately, I had one of the little miracle moments occur that made my life so much easier.

The other weekend we went to visit my mom for an early birthday (we had to work on her real birthday) and in the midst of eating and opening present of sheep designed duct tape, mom asked if I wanted to go to Savage Mills to look at dresses. Several weeks prior I had found a little second hand wedding dress shop there and saw a dress (briefly) that *might* work for me. But I left it there, never tried it on, never took it off the hanger. But I still thought about, even mentioned it to my mom. So... mom being the genius that she is (I come by it honestly at least), we went to Savage Mills.

Girls, if you ever want a nice dress on a budget. Go to these second hand shops. They dresses are gorgeous, reasonably priced, and the proceeds go to help women in need. Its perfect. And guess what. My dress was there. Still on the hanger. So, tentatively I tried it on. I wont lie, I sucked in my gut a little (ok a lot, bite me, I have months to lose 10 pounds if needed). And the dress is GORGEOUS. AND IT FIT. FIT. FIT. FIT!!! And the length was PERFECT. It was like me own dress was just sitting there. Waiting for me to realize I had pre-ordered it and needed to pick it up. And the cost? $125. Not breaking moms bank with that fortunately. And my mom? Over the moon! I was wishy washy over it. She had it in her hands and was hunting down one of the ladies who worked there. Needless to say. I now own a wedding dress. I'm moderately thrilled.

But my mom still wants the David'd bridal experience, and you know what? I'm now ok with it. I know I can go in there and try things on and not feel uber self conscious and worried about finding something  too expensive that I cant afford, or something mediocre thats just in my price range. Now we can go, have fun, enjoy the experience, and let my mom see me all dressed up. But without worrying about money or committing to a dress. Whew.

Oh, and mom said we could wear tiara's when we go. WIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment