Monday, April 7, 2014

FLUFFY STUFF!!

Who doesn't love marshmallow fluff? In all its gooey, sticky, yummy, sugary goodness, it is just about the perfect piece of food ever. I feel bad. I didn't get photos of this one. But trust me, it looks like marshmallow fluff but tastes even better! We had to drive to my mom's this weekend, and since she's a fluff fanatic I was going to bring the stuff with me, but I forgot. *sigh*

So here I am writing about my favorite food ever without pics. Boo!

This was actually a lot simpler than I thought, but I did need a candy thermometer. So you need to get yourself one if you don't have it. I got mine at the local grocer store for 20$. Its digital, has an alarm to go off when it hits the right temp, and attaches to my fridge. Its kinda awesome. And I like cooking gadgets.

So here's a couple of tidbits before we get to the recipe: 1. Start the corn syrup mixture first THEN the meringue so that hopefully they finish at about the same time, 2. Once you mix the corn syrup mixture PUT THE LID ON THE POT!! this will create condensation on the sides of the pot that will move all the sugar crystals into the mix and prevent and crystallization of the mix which would ruin things, 3. SLOWLY add the mixes together so you don't cook the eggs (Ew!). Ok so thats three things, sue me. Remember them, they're important!

On to the recipe!!

Marshmallow Fluff!!!
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. light corn syrup
1/4 c. water
pinch of salt
2 large egg whites
2 overflowing capfuls of vanilla 

1. Mix sugar, corn syrup, water, and salt in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir well and put lid on the pan until boiling. Once boiling remove lid and place in thermometer and stir occasionally until it hits 240'  (I didn't REALLY stir mine much, it was well mixed prior and the boiling was mixing it well enough I figured).

2. While the sugar boils,put the egg whites in your stand mixer with the whisk. Beat on medium speed until you get medium peaks. This is where your time management and multi tasking skills come in handy. Keep the mixer near the pot so you can move on to step three quickly. 

3. When the sugar stuff hits 240' take it 0ff the heat and SLOWLY add a few bits to the eggs on low, this will temper the eggs so they don't cook. Then continue to slowly add more of the sugar to the eggs until its all in there. Keep mixing the two together until the fluff actually starts to get kinda shiney and glossy. 
4. Continue mixing and add the vanilla. Once done put in an airtight container (or eat right away I wont judge) and refrigerator until you're ready to use it.  It should last about two weeks, but you'll probably use it faster than that.




So what do you do with it? Top ice cream, add to a peanut butter sammy, top on brownies (bonus put under a broiler and have roasted marshmallow topping!) eat right off the spoon if you want! Its awesome and endless so have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment